The summer seemed so long at times, yet so short other times. Now, it seems to have flown by. I am now sitting in my new home in Mexico, reflecting on my long-since-finished first year of teaching, the week-long Spanish course that finished Friday, and the year ahead.
Getting to school was a fun (ha!) trip today. The bus ride is now about an hour long each way. I’m the first one on, and the last one off – seems a little unfair, no? My new home is just South of the centro, about a 10-minute walk to the beginning of the excitement. Last year was about a 30-40-minute walk, so it is significantly closer, which I’m really enjoying. I’m not close to any of the other teachers, so I’ve lost the convenience of easy get-togethers, and of sharing taxis. I do feel more independent here in Queretaro. I’m in a neighborhood (rather than being on a big street, across from a University, with lots of students living near me). This makes it less nice to walk at night. I do feel safe, but should still be smart about it.
My neighbors are absolutely fantastic!!! I’ve now met all of them (except the 2 kids across the hall, haven’t officially met them yet, but they’re pretty cute!). There is a couple across the hall, with the two kids, and a couple below me (no kids as far as I can tell). They’ve both offered to help me with whatever I need. I’m super lucky that they all, especially the women, speak English. Angie, below me, even brought me a list of “important numbers”, including her cell and home numbers, after I had some trouble with getting my gas tank (funny that, after one year, I didn’t have any of the numbers anyway!).
- A cold shower does not entail any sort of adjusting the temperature when the water, for whatever reason, gets hotter or colder, or the showerer decides he/she wants it hotter/colder.
- There is no worry about running out of hot water (which is a big disappointment if you have hot water in the first place).
- I’ve heard cold water is good for the hair and skin, and let me tell you, my hair and skin are just dandy right now!
- A cold shower is the best energizer/waker-upper.
- The bathroom doesn’t get even the slightest bit steamy!
Now that I have hot water, I’m considering sticking to the cold shower anyway.
I still have to put up some wall-decorations, buy some flowers, and maybe a few other things before the apartment is complete, then I’ll have pictures for anyone who may want to see my lovely new home. Mom, you’ll get your own video! 😀